Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rating MDs dot com

There is a site on the internet where laypersons can go and rate their MDs. The site actually allows people to do this anonymously.
Looking for Dr Death

At first glance it sounds like a good idea. One would hope their MD is the best in their field and we all do our best to figure this out. But what happens when patients who don't really have a reason to - start to complain? What if people start submitting comments that are not true? Or for whatever reason they feel slighted or they don't like the way their MD does something so they start to make comments, and you as an MD (or as an RN if they start up a site like that!) cannot debate the points made because of our confidentiality laws? It is a one way street.

I just looked up my own MD and to my surprise: her rating is BAD. In fact - "frowny-blue-face-bad".....which is the worst.

My MD is a female age approximately 40. She is very fit and looks great. She is a very positive person. Her physiotherapist husband shares office desk duties with another gal receptionist. When I come in for my appointment, my MD has her laptop in front of her and she takes copious notes (hey this is the 21st century people!) as she asks questions. She examines me thoroughly in whatever area is in question at the time. She is punctual, I never have to wait more than 10 minutes - but mostly she is on time. She jokes a bit and laughs easily, she is no nonsense and comes right out and says what she thinks.

Besides her family practice ( and by the way, no - she doesn't do deliveries) she also does certain "beauty treatments" on the side, which women pay cash for....such as botox or filling in lines - which is not covered under our medical system. Some of her "patients" apparently look at that as a bad thing. Personally, I hate needles so wouldn't even consider it - but that is my choice - just the same as it is another woman's choice to have these procedures done. My MD does not push it - only displays pamphlets that it is available as a procedure in her office.

Some of the comments people are posting are totally off base and very personal attacks. I would actually venture to say: Defamation of Character and libellous. If these patients have a concern about an MD, instead of posting it in a public forum, why not take it to their professional governing body rather than Cybershred an MD in a public medium where the MD cannot defend themselves at all.

Here are some of the complaints posted on this site about my MD:

(my comments in blue)


1. "this MD has a 'personality disorder' ". Hmm. I thought you have to have a degree of some sort to diagnose this. I worked in psychiatry and I certainly do not detect any comparable "personality disorder" in my MD. I did note that the "patient" did rant in a way that one could suspect transference on the part of the patient. I would say that this is a Libel-worthy lawsuit and would hold up in the B.C. courts of law if the MD decided to go forward with it.

2. "this MD has a one complaint/one visit policy, and I don't like that" Since the MDs only get paid per visit...I would be inclined to side with the doc on this one. Fact is, all MDs have this policy. Otherwise docs would have patients coming in for an hour or more with millions of little complaints in their allotted time slot. I don't know of any MD that allows unrestrained complaints. I know that I have been reasonable with my "complaints" and organize them - even going as far as writing down in point form prior to my appointment. I often find that my MD will then extend the "one complaint" policy to more than one. The MD doesn't have time to hold everyone's hand and listen indefinitely. There are other patients waiting....and... there is only so much time in a day, and time is money, as much as a patient doesn't like to think of that. Which brings me to the next complaint -

3. "this MD is in the 'business to make money' "....um...like no one else works for money? I really don't understand this complaint at all. I would like to see that patient work for free. I wouldn't do nursing if I had to do it for free - unless I could afford it - and then it would be nursing to those who are in desperate need - ie: third world countries. It costs money to live, never mind the cost to get there - education is expensive.

4. " the doc didn't give her a referral to a specialist when she asked and complained when the doc told her she didn't give "knee-jerk referrals". This MD is only telling this patient what she should. There are a lot of GPs that have excellent diagnostic skills....THEN - if they need to - get a referral to a specialist. That's the way the system works here in Canada. Most minor complaints can be dealt with in a GPs office. There is a time and a place for a specialist, but most of the GPs I have known can cope with routine complaints. Your little tiny complaint usually isn't that *special*.

5. " the doc made many references to the Government not wanting to pay for tests every year, such as yearly pap tests." I think this is called-making the pt aware of what is/isn't covered and how frequently you can have them. Last I heard it wasn't an offense to let the patient know what the government allows under it's medical plan.

6. "I don't feel "cared" for as much as my previous physician. Not anything I can put my finger on, but I don't feel like I can confide in her, and I don't feel very comfortable with the manner she has." OK. If you have a personality conflict - go elsewhere. Easy. You really don't have to post this complaint in a public place. The MD is not responsible for your incompatibility. Also, in my experience, patients feel they aren't getting adequate care unless an RX is given or test is done. I can't tell you how many times I have heard complaints about the MD that saw a patient who "*only* took a BP,Temperature, listened to my chest and then told me I was ok" . What is the complaint here? Were they looking for a voo-doo magical experience? Xrays in the office?

7. " I saw her often for a few year for a chronic disease and she only remembered me for a prescribed BOTOX procedure (unrelated to my disease). She runs her practice like a business and makes no qualms about it. I do agree with those who are in support of "XXX", that she does know her stuff and is very efficient, that is a good quality in a doctor." Personally, I can't remember a patient from one delivery to the next. That doesn't make me a bad nurse - it only means I am not good at remembering the millions of faces that pass by every day. I don't see the need for an MD to memorize absolutely everything on your chart verbatim either. I don't see how they can. There are lots of more interesting things to put in a brain. That's why my MD is typing on her computer....so she is noting everything about you so she won't have to remember. Besides, if you feel your MD is doing her job, is efficient and "knows her stuff" - why complain at all? I would like to see some of these patients try to remember as much as an MD has to remember.

8. "She was rude, insensitive, had an extremely poor bedside manner and just typed on her laptop the entire time without really paying attention to me. " Thank goodness the MD was taking notes. Or maybe the patient would feel better if the MD went back to the good ol' pen and paper? This is the 21st century and computers make lives easier - never mind that no one has to try and decipher bad handwriting. As far as rudeness or insensitivity goes.... see point 6 above. Our government is pushing completely electronic medical files. Get used to it.

9. " She was always firing her staff which is not a good sign." Actually, one office gal changed jobs due to an offer closer to her home. That is the only change in staff I saw the entire time, and I have been with this MD since the beginning of her practice in that city.

I was curious as to how other MDs I knew and worked with rated, so I looked them up.

I remember an MD I worked with that was downright dangerous, yet his patients loved him and would swear by him because he held their hand and went along with everything the patient would say. He would give abx whenever a patient requested whether it was needed or not. Most of his patients were on tons of medications - even ones that conflicted. That MD has all sorts of yellow smiley faces by his name.

My sis in law actually went to an MD that had been suspended by the government to practice when he billed for a dead patient - on more than one occasion - then skipped the country and, when the publicity died down, returned to his practice. I don't see any blue frowny-faces after his name.

I worked with another one that ran out of the country without paying his bills...yet he was in good stead with his patients. Lots of smiley faces there.

I worked with an OB that was terrifying to work with. He was abusive to staff, he freaked at any emergency and did some very questionable things that were caught by the nurses. It could have been bad for the patient. Yet - yellow smiley faces.

If the patient is going to complain, there are processes and procedures - so why not do it in the forum that allows an MD to defend themselves rather than an anonymous posting? I would hate it if there were a website that allowed patients to post bad things about me and because of HIPPA or FOIPAA laws, I could not defend myself. I can just visualize in my mind what could be printed by whomever. Yet, this is being done all the time on this site under actual Md's names.

There is such a thing as free speech, but when it comes to the infringements of personal rights and when it can have an impact on their means of support......there needs to be a line drawn.

Our Court system is a little fuzzy when it comes to Laws of the Internet, but this does need to be addressed. For now....it is a very grey line.....

No comments: