Since we are on the subject of aeroplanes.....
My birthday happened to fall while my husband and I were vacationing in Palm Desert for a space of time this spring.
My husband graciously gave up his twice-per-day golfing excursions for a day to spend it entirely with me- doing something that I wanted to do. He thought I might want to go to the Palm Springs Follies.
My husband graciously gave up his twice-per-day golfing excursions for a day to spend it entirely with me- doing something that I wanted to do. He thought I might want to go to the Palm Springs Follies.
Nope. Not me!
So what did we do?
I chose to go to the Museum of Flight at the Palm Springs Airport. :)
I love anything that is historical. When I lived in the Bay Area, I flew out to Indianapolis to visit my sister and her family. My favourite local attraction? The Hall of Fame Museum at the "Brick Yard".I chose to go to the Museum of Flight at the Palm Springs Airport. :)
Yup. The History of Auto Racing. Loved it. The kids were getting a little impatient at Auntie having to stop and read. Every. Single. Posting. At. Every. Single. Old. Car. But it was heaven. All that history. Pretty cool. If you have a chance, and are in the area....go and check it out. I might even be able to entice my husband to go again!
But if you are ever in P.S. – check out the Flight museum.The planes were amazing. But the history – even more so. If you have a LOT of time – watch some of the first hand recorded accounts by the WW2 vets. Listen to the history lessons. Their DVD library is amazing.And here's to the women who contributed to the war effort back then, of which my husband's aunt was one of them - a real live "Rosie the Riveter"....
And of course there were the nurses of WW2. There were a lot of revolutionary things going on in the field of medicine at the time - one of which was the development of Penicillin which improved the survival rate at the end of the war. Another field of medicine was the newly developing plastic surgery. Here is an interesting account from an RN during WW2:
"Theatre became my own special field and I became most interested in the revolutionary plastic surgery being carried out at this time. I was also privileged to work with some of the surgeons who pioneered this work. There was no such thing as nylon sutures of course, and my fine red hair was often called into use. After being sterilised it was used to repair median nerves which had been damaged in forearm injuries caused by shrapnel. It evidently had the advantage of being both fine and strong! We carried out different types of skin grafts, the results of which were painstakingly slow. Seldom did the theatre staff see the end results of our efforts, but many badly burned pilots were supported psychologically by the young nurses who cared for them post-operatively"
If you ever have time, take a peek into history - it is quite an eye-opener.....There are so many stories - and now with the Internet - those stories are now being told.
"Theatre became my own special field and I became most interested in the revolutionary plastic surgery being carried out at this time. I was also privileged to work with some of the surgeons who pioneered this work. There was no such thing as nylon sutures of course, and my fine red hair was often called into use. After being sterilised it was used to repair median nerves which had been damaged in forearm injuries caused by shrapnel. It evidently had the advantage of being both fine and strong! We carried out different types of skin grafts, the results of which were painstakingly slow. Seldom did the theatre staff see the end results of our efforts, but many badly burned pilots were supported psychologically by the young nurses who cared for them post-operatively"
If you ever have time, take a peek into history - it is quite an eye-opener.....There are so many stories - and now with the Internet - those stories are now being told.

No comments:
Post a Comment