
If you read the story about going to the ER on Friday, you will remember that I was definitely going to follow up with the Manager of ER at our local hospital, the Administration - and perhaps even further up the chain - today.
First I called ER to give the Manager the story. I presented it in a calm and factual way and requested a copy of their "visitor policy" for their ER. What I got was a sincere apology. Apparently there have been quite a few complaints about the same thing happening to other patients.
The RULE has been in place since forever and it has only just now been resurrected and enforced since the "new" ER opened up this year with their brand new shiny LOCKED DOORS in place. No one can get in and out of the triage - unless you happen to have a pass card. The only way to get a pass card is - if you are an employee.
The manager stated to me that there have been some RNs that have been on a power trip and have arbitrarily been enforcing The RULE without using common sense or compassion.
After the apology, my call was transferred to Administration where my I left my phone number and name. Approximately a 1/2 hour later I got a call back. The administrator taking my complaint was also very apologetic.
They are taking it very seriously. However, I did let them know I was still writing letters and I would be expecting a follow up call.
The Manager states that they are going to have the Educators explain to the RNs in that department that they don't have to be so uncaring and unfeeling about enforcing The Rule. What I don't understand - why haven't they already done something about it if there have been as many complaints as they say?
Surely they can keep a few rogue nurses in line?
Apparently not.
I suggested that having the policy in the first place is a very bad idea.......
We will see where this goes.
2 comments:
That's the way, kill 'em with kindness. Also, don't forget you're dealing with management. They make rules just because they can, doesn't mean they make any sense.
ya why is it that management is promoted inversely to their level of competence?
Post a Comment