Thursday, June 2, 2011

Nursing Convocation: It's the Season or How it was Back Then

In my Inbox, I receive Nursing Medscape news.

There has been a series published on the Nursing cap, the significance and the capping ceremony and all the hoopla around it that Nursing seems to have.
I think this is what my RN cap looked like from. 
what I can remember. I never wore it professionally, and
shortly thereafter gave it to my niece to play with
Just the other day they posted a series of old photos of nurses in their caps that readers had sent in...nostalgic old photos from the 70s and early 80s, and their feelings around the cap and their graduation.

My stroll down memory lane wasn't one that I would care to repeat.

The stories I read on others' blogs about their meaningful ceremony and funny but sentimental speeches with family proudly observing - almost made me wistful for a similar experience, because both my graduations - LPN and RN - were nothing like that.

As an LPN - our ceremony was brief and there was not much that was  "ceremonious" about it. 

It was held outside on the College grounds and my (and other's) parents huddled in a small group and watched (no chairs!) as we were handed our little diploma  - in a "ceremony" that was 15 minutes tops.

Nothing special done, no pinning, no cap or stripe applied.  We already arrived with our gold and green stripes - the College's colors - on our caps.

I think some of us went for coffee after, and I am sure my parents wondered why they drove the 1 hour each way for this.

I had made my own uniform - and it was (at the time) quite a modern one with a longer mid thigh tunic, fitted at the waist/flaring at the hips,  and those wide bottom-leg pants.

When I graduated from the RN program four years later, my folks declined coming to the ceremony, the last one, I am sure,  still fresh in their minds.

"We've been to two of your graduations already" they stated, "That's enough".   In their defence,  there were five of us siblings....so I suppose, after a while, the graduations did add up.

My folks weren't all that encouraging about advanced education anyway so I don't think that they realized the importance of it.  At least, to me.  I had made it entirely on my own - even though sometimes it meant I had to miss a meal or two to pay my tuition.

The RN ceremony was a little more lavish than the LPN one - and I use that word loosely.

We were the 2nd or 3rd Nursing class ever to graduate at the University - and between finishing our nursing program in December -  a whole five months before the general student body -  in addition to inexperience as to what nursing graduation ceremonies entailed -  nothing *official* was planned by the University itself.

Our ceremony took place in the University,  with their permission.

We decided to have our own ceremony separate from the University's because most of our class would be dispersed - working all over the country by the time the Spring convocation came around - and no one wanted to make a special trip back for it.

We could also then make the ceremony "our own".

Because my parents didn't want to attend another graduation, I asked my best girlfriend and her mom to be my special guests of honor.

Once again, I made my own uniform - sort of a coat dress to the knee - and slim-fitting, very much like a business dress suit.  Impractical for working, I know - but hey, I looked great - and professional!

We chose 9 roses* for each student  and we would have our caps already on - black strip already applied.

We never had formal photos taken, but the only male in our class (he didn't make it to the end) offered to take informal photos of us all.

They didn't really turn out very well so I don't really have any photos to show you.

The ceremony was short and sweet. I don't remember who the valedictorian was or what was said - if there even was something said - although I am sure there was.   I don't remember much of any it....except it all took place in the University cafeteria because that was the only place they would give us for the "unofficial" nursing ceremony. 

Not a grand venue at all.  Heaven forbid they let us use the fancy lecture forum with stage and all that they reserved strictly for the *actual* graduation!

We were called up one by one and handed our pins that we paid for.    We weren't formally "pinned" or capped, and we weren't handed our diplomas - because technically - we didn't graduate until spring,  according to the university.  

In their eyes, this ceremony didn't really *exist* - and they did not acknowledge it except only to "allow" it....

They might have handed us a blank piece of paper along with the pin as a diploma substitute. (Funny coincidence - the same thing happened at our high school graduation - except they didn't even attempt to substitute with a fake one)

We had a dance afterwards but I only was there for 1/2 hour when my girlfriend's mom started having chest pains and dizzy spells.

I spent the next 4 hours or so in Emergency with her and my best girlfriend. She was all apologetic about it...especially when it turned out to be a false alarm....but I reassured her that being there in ED with her was where I wanted to be and where I should be. 

After all, isn't this what I went to Nursing school for?

I thought it appropriate to spend my nursing graduation in the hospital....rather than at a Graduation Celebration dance.

Ironic, don't you think?

But, retrospectively,  I didn't regret it at all,  even though my BFF's mom eventually lived to be over 90 and only passed away 2 years ago. 

Today would have been her birthday.

Sure, it would have been nice to have all the pomp and ceremony that goes with graduation, feeling that it was the "highlight" of my life - accentuating the accomplishment. 

But - after the graduation - because the celebration was so minimal, there was none of the "let down" or "disappointment" of everything (meaning Nursing school) being over with.

The one thing not having a Glorious Ceremony did,  for me it accentuated the fact that the real nursing starts after the celebrations.  

Even though there is, and rightfully so,  some Significance to the ceremony itself - really, what counts is what you do after the graduation.


:)


It's all just history and one nurse's experience, for what it's worth.






*When asked "why nine roses only? Is there a significance to the number 9?" - we replied -  the money we raised for our ceremony - that's all we had enough for.  By the end of the year, we had had enough of the bake sales, car washes and the like - having to pay the entire expense of the ceremony and celebrations.....never mind study too!  After all, we were a practical bunch!

5 comments:

MentalMom said...

My nursing school still had caps into the early 90's and convocation was a big meaninful ceremony every year. Sadly, the nursing school (old fashioned hospital based with students living in a dorm attached to the hospital) is now a health careers college and not just a nursing school and that student-nurse camaraderie is gone :(

Betsy MacWhinney said...

It makes me a little sad that your parents weren't more supportive of your schooling, but makes it even more impressive that you got through it!

Cartoon Characters said...

K: Yes that's what most people who went through the hospital based programs say...there definitely was more comraderie! Because I went through an access program for LPN's...I entered in at the 2nd year level...and I didn't really experience much comraderie, if there even was any.

Betsy: It was what it was back then. :) My parents were off doing what they did...volunteerism around the globe! That's what they wanted to do and felt was important, and I did what I thought was important. It did take a certain decisiveness to get through with no encouragement. But that is probably why I got through - sheer determination! :)

Phiddy said...

Hi CC,
Boy I am finding you and I are more alike than ever.

I too did the LPN then onward and upwards to the goal of being an RN. Though it took me longer to do it than you did. Smart girl you are.

My LPN school was a hospital with dorms connected or, living out in the community with people pre-approved by the school. Oh which by the way was run by nuns. Talk about scary!

Our capping ceremony (way back when, early 70s) still was done with all the hoopla. We had our band less caps exchanged for ones with the school's signature teal blue ribbon. We said the Florence Nightingale pledge while we stood with candles in our little ceramic candle holders.

The RN ceremony was done mid term, so like you we were handed blank papers. There were by that time no caps being worn due to said caps being carriers for every living and dead organism around. (Ever work with one on with a patient in just about any kind of traction?)

At our ceremony we rec'd no cap. Just a pin we had to pay for (like you) ourselves. So we were "pinned" vs. being capped. A couple of speeches later and we were let out on the unsuspecting world. To wait in horrified angst for the NCLEX testing. :)

Cartoon Characters said...

Phd: I was glad I did the LPN first...I was so naive about all things medical back then, and the few years as an LPN was beneficial to me...so much so - that once I got through the microbiology, anatomy/physiology etc....it was smooth sailing....quite easy.

It was also great for my finances...since I couldn't afford to pay for the RN course all at one go.... :)