Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Concussions in Sports
This hit tarnished this series for me.
You can see the "fencing response" or that "en garde" position that is typical for head injuries. Scientists are using the vast library of YouTube videos to research this phenomenon.
Here is a compilation video:
What it shows is an injury to the mid brain - and if precautions are not taken - will cause permanent brain damage and even perhaps death if the athlete is allowed to go back out and continue to play.
I understand hitting or "checking" has always been "part of hockey" but....come on guys...stop chirping and hitting at each other and start playing!
I don't like boxing or Mixed Martial Arts mixed with hockey - which by the way, a former Hockey player competed in a recent competition and knocked the other guy down within 21 seconds.
Funny thing. While I was watching the head injury YouTube video...guess what ad appeared?
An advertisement for migraines.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I don't mind the checking and hitting, it is the cheap shots like that which make it bad, but that happens in most sports.
You will still cheer for Vancouver.
checking is one thing...and you are correct...cheap shots are not cool.
I think I still will cheer for Luongo... ;) he's getting a bad rap right now...but Vancouver wouldn't have gotten as far as they have without him.
The suspensions the NHL are handing out for stuff like this are a freaking joke. Nothing for Cooke on Savard. Nothing for Chara on Pacioretty. Rome for Horton for the rest of the season? And they wonder why it continues to happen.
I know. And I don't understand the ref's at all....they *see* some and don't others....it doesn't make sense.
Post a Comment