I remember years ago when I lived in the East Bay San Francisco - my roommate was dating a guy who was high up in the echelon of a certain TV station in The City. She was invited to attend the Oscars as his date.
My room mate was quite a picky gal, but she had all kinds of suitors lining up to have a chance to date her.
I remember one guy that had the misfortune to have a little car trouble on his two hour round trip to pick her up for a dinner date. He was five minutes late.
Because of this tardiness, she kept him standing on the doorstep as she took the flowers he offered and told him that if he didn't respect her enough to be on time, she wasn't going to bother going out with him. She shut the door in his face.
She didn't even think twice about turning him away.
She ignored my "awww the poor guy...." comment, and just refused to lower her standards - as she put it.
I secretly admired such confidence and attitude - that she wouldn't put up with anything.....although, I did feel sorry for that one guy.
Back to the Red Carpet.
A couple days before the Oscars - she announced she had changed her mind.
Incredulously, I looked at her - mouth agape.
"I don't like the guy" she proclaimed. "I'm not going to go."
That was the end of that.
I think that I probably would have suffered with the guy for ONE night - and gone - just for the experience and the ambiance and to say I had attended the Oscars.
Anyway.
Here is a little story of someone I knew - and worked with - One of the Residents on L&D - and a very good one at that! - who performed at the Oscars a few years back.
The Resident paid for her education with her part time job - performing with Cirque du Soleil.
Since the Cirque is performing again this year at the Oscars....I thought it might just be a very timely recycle.
Hope you enjoy it.
That - and the Oscars tonight.

1 comment:
I loved your story and I loved watching the Cirque du Soleil last night too.
Post a Comment