When the University's email came into my box I just ignored it.
Then, the follow-up email came. I ignored it again.....and promptly forgot about it.
![]() |
| Learning: for all dinosaurs like me |
A week later, I thought I should at least perhaps take a peek at the email.
I knew I was supposed to start the course in January - and I had procrastinated until the end of January - and now it was the first week in February.
The email was asking those who had not yet checked in to the University - please do. Apparently half the class was missing.
Oops!
The course I am taking is Assessment and Communications in my Area of Expertise. Looking over the discussions already started and the topics and the assignments and required reading........I started to panic.
There was no way I could catch up....I was already three weeks behind!
Why did I so stupidly volunteer for this ??
What the program is - is a 2 year University certification course to "qualify" me in my area of Expertise....all paid for by my employer.
We are allowed five years to complete it.
At work, looking at all the course and the readings......I quickly became discouraged. I talked to my Manager about my misgivings.
She was very sympathetic.
"Remember - it's an adult learning course. It's different than when you were in University for your nursing. We are not held by the same standards as other courses. As long as you have learned something. So - just sit back and learn.....!"
She rounded up a couple of the other gals taking the same course. They tried their best to reassure me and even gave me their home email addresses so I could contact them if necessary.
Problem is, I am a little OCD and if I can't do something perfectly - I can't be bothered doing it at all. I never want to do anything part way or half-assed.
It's all or nothing with me.
It was helpful to read on Berate Your Professor's blog "If you enjoy learning you will do well" in this blogpost "Don't Worry, Be Happy".
Trying to "sit back and learn" is going to be difficult.
I will try and enjoy it.
I am going to audit the present class this time round and get used to negotiating the website and doing the required things one does while taking an online course - and will start with the next class.........
Ethics and Legalities in my area of Expertise.
Fun.

2 comments:
Oh goodness I hope all went well. I haven't read blogs in a few weeks so I hope you were able to relax a bit and enjoy your class. How is it going?
Auditing for now....will start with the *real* course at the end of March. Meanwhile, getting into the swing of things.
Don't know how I would ever do what you do! :)
Post a Comment