Tuesday, February 7, 2012

the IF project....if only......

I have mentioned previously that I had worked in a prison as an RN for a period of time.  I was working with male patients - the worst of the worst, if you get my drift.

I have worked inside those double barbed wire walls of prison with very little protection than a Personal Protection Alarm....and dozens of male prisoners out of their cells and all around me.....

So I am telling you from experience that I am not naive or oblivious to the manipulations and the emotional immaturity in these places.

Prior to my stint as a prison nurse, when I worked in Labor Delivery, we occasionally had an incarcerated patient accompanied by a guard escort.


Photo credit: here for an interesting
article on shackles in L&D
It also wasn't uncommon to be caring for a pregnant woman off the streets, trying to shake their drug addiction -  and on methadone.

My heart went out to these women.

What was it that led to their present situation? I always wondered.

One time - I did ask.

Along with my other new moms, I was assigned a prisoner transferred from the local lockup, admitted for preterm labour.

A quiet withdrawn little thing, she presented as a tiny pathetic figure almost lost in the mountain of covers on her bed.

On one of my patient rounds I rescued a small bunch of flowers that another discharged patient had left behind.  It would have gone in the garbage had I not salvaged it - and I hate waste. 

I picked out the dead and wilted flowers and brought the little freshened-up bouquet into her room.  Placing it on the windowsill where she could see it, I told her that I would leave them for her to enjoy.

The guard glared at me - but my patient was transformed.

Tears in her eyes,  she thanked me profusely - and unnecessarily - for such a small and insignificant gesture.

It was later on during my night shift that she told me  her story:


Her early married life started out as most....very happy,  living an average life in an average family neighborhood doing what most young mothers and wives do. 

Tragically, her husband died and she was left coping with two young children on her own, a mountain of bills to pay - and no job experience.  

She was at a loss to find a way to provide for her children.   At this point, welfare was not an option.  She was too proud to take handouts.

The money she earned at a minimum wage job couldn't pay the bills.  She wrote a couple of bad cheques and ended up in the court system. 

From there it went from bad to worse.   She lost her house.  

To deal with her depression  over her hopeless situation, she turned to alcohol. 

She was involved in an MVA and thereafter became dependent on pain medications prescribed by her MD.  She couldn't afford to drive and couldn't get to any job that would even look at her for employment now she had a record.

The social system took away her children when she became involved with unsavory persons who provided her with living quarters -  the only place she could afford after being turned down by a series of landlords.

Increasingly addicted, one day she changed her prescription for pain medications and was caught by the pharmacy - and the law. 

She went back to court - and then lockup -  and thereafter,  her life became stuck in the revolving door of prison.  

When I met her she was pregnant by an unknown father while prostituting.

Even if only part of her story is true.....how tragic!

Sometimes we look down at these people, thinking how much superior we are....forgetting that but for the grace of God.......

Are these people salvageable?

Statistics are not on their side but as a society, we are behoven to try.

Recently,  girlfriend that works in a different area of the penal system sent me this link:

The If Project:  Essays from women from Washington State Correction State Center for Women.

Over 240 essays written by the women at this prison when they were asked :


 “If there was something someone could have said or done that would have changed the path that led you here, what would it have been?”

The hope was to find out tangible things they could do or say as officers working on the street that could actually work to change a young person's direction in life before it was too late.

If you choose not to click on any of the links above,  please, at least  take a moment to watch this short video and let the women speak for themselves:


The If Project Trailer from The If Project on Vimeo.


I wonder how many of these women, if shown discipline and love... would have ended up in a different place?

This following video is worth a repost:

Can't Change the World....sung by a First Nations gal that was a foster child until a family took her in and cared for her ....and her life was so totally different than it could have been:

10 comments:

Bathwater said...

That is why I always try to make a difference with the people I meet. You don't know what little thing will change a persons life.

Cartoon Characters said...

BathW: Exactly. I wish I were a little more effectual. Sometimes I just don't feel that I am...but I keep plugging on anyway...

Clyde said...

You have described the reason I attend the church I do. The acceptance of addicts, users, ex-cons absolutely amazes me. It is so cool to be in a place where real Christian love is expressed. Loved your story.

Cartoon Characters said...

CSW: real christianity is in the practical things one does helping those who are the least of society.... mind you - being naive at how some people can use those who would help them might get some of those same people in trouble - but then sometimes it's tough love that's needed. I think it's not being so judgmental is a good start.

Geno said...

I grew up in an alcoholic family, brother with schizophrenia. I was ready to rob a liquor store (age 14) and a strange man came up to me and gave me his card.
"I had no shoes and cried
Until I met a man with no legs"
I was 39 when I finally changed my path and today I work with other alcoholics. The nice people of the world told me repeatedly that I had a problem and finally I could hear. It wasn't the yelling that got me, it was the sympathy.

Smalltown RN said...

You have shared a side of nursing I am so unfamiliar with. The prison system. Yes I have cared for prisoners in the hospitals..and yes some I have asked personal questions...and their stories have always amazed to think how have you made it this far.

It's wonderful to meet another BC RN...I haven't found to many Canadian RN bloggers so I hope you don't mind if I link you to my blog list as I would love to come back to visit your blog.

Thanks...

Cowgirl said...

Helping someone takes real effort(time&emotions & sometimes money). It means getting out of one's own comfort zone and stepping into a riskier one...it is damn hard to do. I do not do it nearly enough. I wish I was better at it. For me, a little help from someone else reminds to return the favour.

Nice post.

Cartoon Characters said...

Geno: So happy to hear one of the success stories! I am not often privvy to those...so I am glad you posted! Warm wishes in future years ...so glad you are now helping others - showing them the right path! The skill that you use now is a result of what you have experienced in your past. All the best to you!

Smalltown: welcome to my blogworld! It's small and anyone/everyone is welcome! It is nice to see another BC blogger. You are number 2! ;)

Cowgirl: I agree. It is difficult and so out of what we would normally do. It's not second nature either for most of us...

Pollyanna said...

This is so neat; thank you for posting those links and thoughts. I've been working to improve my perception of and rapport with my patients that are drug addicts lately, because that's a population I have a hard time with. I had a very good experience recently taking the time to give a pt. with open sores related to IV drug use a thorough bed bath, and he was very polite and appreciative. It can be hard to find it in yourself to treat every patient as well as the next, and I appreciate the reminders.

Cartoon Characters said...

PollyA: Yes, it's difficult when you work with that segment of society... sometimes when they are treated as human beings, they do respond. Some don't, but then, I figure...it's not really me they are reacting to...thanks for the comment!