A couple weeks ago, my husband's employer hosted a Christmas dinner outing at a local restaurant. The employer was footing the bill for the food - but not the alcohol - which, to me was quite a reasonable and responsible thing to do.| Minus the mug. The chocolate was a tiny little square, which of course, I cant eat anyway - gives me mouth ulcers... |
Who wants to sit and eat with a bunch of drunks who are trying to max out on the free drinks - then possibly have them drive home?
Liability issues.
The meals averaged anywhere from $20 to $40 per plate. Most everyone ordered the most expensive. I ordered salmon, which came in at $20 - the lower end of the scale. Everyone also ordered dessert.
The guy sitting across from me was the husband of the gal that works at the front desk at the office. He was complaining that the boss (not attending) was demanding that the *actual* bill was sent to headquarters, as opposed to a scan or fax. It wouldn't even be her own stamp or envelope that she uses to send it!
Personally, I didn't quite get all the complaining going on. After all, he was getting a FREE MEAL.
Having run several of my own "businesses"....and also now our rentals - I can understand why one would want the *actual* billing. It makes good business sense, especially if you are going to be audited.
And - why would they whine and complain about that anyway? It could be that they felt it was a matter of trust, but still.........
I suppose I wasn't very popular when I spoke up and pointed out that it was well within the employer's rights to want the original receipt and said - "I wouldn't care what type of paperwork he wanted - when I am getting my meal paid for!!!"
Uncomfortable silence ensued.
I made a point of telling my husband the following week to let his fellow employees know that all I got from my employer was one tiny piece of wrapped chocolate and a cranberry teabag tucked inside a Christmas card.
I suppose now, I'm the one that appears to be whining......
1 comment:
Haha too funny. Isn't it amazing what people will complain about? I swear things could be perfect and some people still find flaw. Oh well at least you spoke your mind. Life is too short to complain about a free meal, some would be so lucky.
Post a Comment