Common sense prevails for once - in Quebec.
Service Canada...the working end of Canada....has got the OK from the Conservative Government to decorate for Christmas.
The Quebec Government had banned any Christmas decorations (holly boughs and trees included) because a Muslim complained that it "offended" them. I am perfectly fine with everything (well, I do take exception of the ceremonial knives if worn on commercial airplanes) and anything that another religion celebrates - even in public. It's a free country.
Please don't take this as an anti-Muslim rant. It isn't.
I have taken part in other religions' ceremonial celebrations.
I have joined Muslim friends to watch parades celebrating Muslim culture - specifically Ramadan - in the next town over when they publicly celebrated their religious beliefs right down the main street and through the city more than once.
I have joined Muslim friends to watch parades celebrating Muslim culture - specifically Ramadan - in the next town over when they publicly celebrated their religious beliefs right down the main street and through the city more than once.
The nurse that sits next to me at work is Muslim and she was telling me how her family takes part in some of the Christmas celebrations. I even got a Christmas card from another one of my girlfriends who is Muslim last year (and yes it did say "Merry Christmas" - not - "Happy Holidays").
I have attended services at a Jewish synagog and partook in the Hannukka celebrations. I have attended both Protestant and Catholic churches.
Our Santa Parade downtown Vancouver includes all local ethnic groups.
Live and let live is my motto.
I don't tell you what you can and can't do - you don't tell me what I can and can't do. Within reason and the confines of criminal and civil law, of course.
Why does the Government bow to only one or two voices of objection out there when there are thousands - no - millions of others out there that are OK with celebrations, or at the very least - even neutral about them?
To ban Christmas decorations because they offend is just plain stupid. It's a cultural thing, not a religious thing for most people. It's political correctness taken too far.
Shouldn't we be ALL-INCLUSIVE???
That's what this country is all about!
I know that all of my Muslim and Buddhist friends agree. They wouldn't like to see their own celebrations and customs outlawed - so why ban so called "Christian" celebrations?
Certainly the Muslim community as a whole in Canada has no objections, quote:
Shouldn't we be ALL-INCLUSIVE???
That's what this country is all about!
I know that all of my Muslim and Buddhist friends agree. They wouldn't like to see their own celebrations and customs outlawed - so why ban so called "Christian" celebrations?
Certainly the Muslim community as a whole in Canada has no objections, quote:
Religious minorities, meanwhile, lined up against the ban. Salam Elmenyawi, head of the Muslim Council of Montreal, said he enjoys seeing Christmas lights and other decorations.“I guarantee you, for most Muslims this is a non-issue,” he said. “I’m not offended by these decorations at all. They remind us of the spirit of giving.”
I am glad that the Quebec Government has come to it's senses.
Although, I do note that "religious icons" are still not allowed.
No comments:
Post a Comment