Saturday, January 28, 2012

Diabetes: In Remission!!!!!

Remember my diabetic cat?

It's been 20 days since I started her on an "all protein" diet, and 18 days since I started insulin....and guess what?

I think she is in remission!!

A Miracle!

Kitty relaxing, but keeping one eye out for the lancet....!

If you were witness to what I went through with my other diabetic cat... you would understand what a relief this is.

By the end of the first week, I was giving 2 units of glargine insulin twice daily to my present diabetic Kitty.

After a couple days of 2 units, her blood glucose was dropping a little lower than what I liked, so I dropped the dosage gradually to 1.5 units,  then 1.0 units of insulin.

By the end of the second week, I had reduced the dosage down to 0.5 units of insulin.

When even that small of an amount dropped her afternoon 2 hour pre-lunch glucose to 1.9 mmol/L - I stopped it entirely -  yesterday afternoon.

She has not had any insulin for 24 hours!


It isn't just for MY convenience that I am relieved....but also for my cat's comfort and quality of life - although it will be a lot cheaper when we go on vacation  not having to find a sitter that can do blood glucose levels and the administration of insulin!

Yay!

My Kitty has gained weight (YAY!) and I can't feel her spine as much...her coat is definitely healthier-looking and she is playful and full of energy - perhaps even more than when she was eating dry food.

So, let this be a lesson to everyone out there with cats:

HIGH PROTEIN DIET!!!! Don't give the dry catfood - it's KILLING your cats!
Check the label of what you feed your cat.

As with HUMANS:   PREVENTION is better than a CURE!!!

I am going to start giving raw food next week.....it is available at our local pet store (mom and pop store - NOT the big box store!) and it is cheaper than canned food by a mile.

A local (Vancouver) company prepares it...it comes frozen. I might have to incorporate it gradually, but it will be a lot healthier than the canned foods.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I have a Veterinarian appointment for a week and a half from now and hopefully I will have the evidence of complete remission!

10 comments:

Lo said...

Oh, I am so happy for you and your cat!
I do have my fingers crossed that the remission continues and that she is cured by the new diet.

We love 'em but it is such a pain to have to medicate twice a day.

By the way, I have spoiled my spoiled rotten rotten cats by giving them beef liver, partly grilled but pink inside for dinner many nites.....they love it and it seems to be good for them......not much fun for me skinning 3 lbs of liver a week, but, as I said, we love 'em.

Cartoon Characters said...

Thanks Lo!! I am hoping too!

Medications twice daily is such a pain - I would do it...but it's nice that she is doing so well now and on her way to total remission!

Yes, liver is good but I did read somewhere that too much liver wasn't great for them- but like you do it - once in a while... perfectly fine!

I stick to the meats that are the typical kinds cats would naturally eat... birds and rabbits. Mostly birds tho.

Phiddy said...

Glad to hear she's in remission.
Now you want to come and work your magic on my diabetes?

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

I'm glad that your cat has made a turn for the better.

Cowgirl said...

So true...for our animals and ourselves...'you are what you eat'...it couldn't be any simpler.

My dog gets raw and thrives on it...she is still a bit of a nut though. Congrats.

Cartoon Characters said...

Phiddy: Wouldn't that be nice!

ZazzyE: so am I!

Cowgirl: True! Glad your pooch is doing great! :)

Bathwater said...

Prevention is better than a cure, thank goodness animals don't get addicted to drugs on their own.

Cartoon Characters said...

BathW: yes, for sure! Prevention is better/easier than a cure! And I hear you about addiction...wishing you all the best!

Tess Julia said...

Wow! That's awesome! I'll look forward to hearing what the vet says.

Cartoon Characters said...

I know! The appointment was postponed until the 17th now. The day I was to go for her appointment, we had a major power outage and it closed down everyone in town!

Will be interesting to see what she says for sure!